Monday, September 10, 2012

Spinach & Artichoke Pasta

You may have noticed by now that I dig spinach and artichokes.

About five or six years ago, I refused to eat either.  Then, we got a spinach and artichoke dip at a restaurant one time.  Then, I decided I liked spinach and artichokes.  Then, I became obsessed.

Me?  Obsessed over something trivial?  Shocking, I know.

The more I journey through this cyber-adventure with you, the more I've come to realize how truly limitless cooking can be.  Before this, I am not sure I would have even attempted something as easy as dip.  Now, I spend my days trying to turn dip into pasta, or pizza, or sandwiches.  It's a truly soul-satisfying experience when you can turn your favorite food into favorite foods.  Gourmet-style favorite food, at that.

Ok, I'm done waxing philosophic.

This pasta is truly the best of both worlds.  The creamy, cheesy dip that we all know and love is set atop a plate of hot pasta, inducing a feeling of warm coziness that makes this perfect for the oncoming autumn.

Seriously, I don't know how to tell you how absolutely delicious this veggie-laden mixture is on pasta.  Next time, I think I'd like to try throwing a little protein like chicken into the pot.  Either way, this dish is warm and comforting and satisfying in all of the best ways.



1 lb. pasta, cooked and strained
1 14oz. can of artichoke hearts, diced
1 10oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
2 tbsp olive oil

Sauce:
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 white onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 tbsp Italian seasoning


In a large pot, cook pasta in boiling water.  Set aside.

On medium heat, saute onion in olive oil for 2-3 minute.  Follow garlic for an additional 1-2 minutes.  Set aside.


In a saucepan, combine flour and butter to create a roux.  Slowly add milk while stirring.  Once the mixture has thickened slightly, slowly add both cheeses, spinach and artichokes until the cheese is completely melted.  Toss in the pan of chicken and vegetables and the Italian seasoning and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.

Pour sauce over pasta.




Listening to:   Eminem - Mockingbird


No comments:

Post a Comment