Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Raspberry Freezer Jam

I've been toying with the idea of making freezer jam lately.

I'm definitely still in novice territory when it comes to canning.  And truthfully, it's such a time-consuming process that it's sometimes discouraging when you're trying to have a fun and easy day in the kitchen.  Since everything on the planet stresses me out on a fairly regular basis, the precision that canning requires can be overwhelming to me at times when I'm trying new things.

I like canning, but I prefer to save it for special occasions.  You know, like when you're making a jar of gourmet jam that you're not going to eat everyday.  But, for the more common varieties, I like doing the freezer jam.  It tastes just as good, but it's much easier for making multiple batches per year.

My top three jams and jellies are strawberry, raspberry and grape.  And, I love making my own because I'm quite a stickler on sugar.  I like my fruity jams to taste like fruit, and not some overly sweetened mush.  So, you make notice with some of my recipes, there is less than the typical amount of sugar.  I encourage you to alter these recipes to your own tastes, just as I have here.

Depending on what I've got available, I can have several small jars of different jams in my freezer at any given time.  Like I said, I've got three flavors that are my go-to spreads on any regular day, so I've offered them up to you because they are super easy.  The measurements are always the same so I know this recipe by heart at this point.

Now, to find something to do with all my extra non-canning time....




Raspberry Freezer Jam

4 cups raspberries, pureed
1 cup sugar
1 pkg. freezer pectin


Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.

Pour into small jars.  Let sit for 1 hour.

Freeze until ready to use.




For Grape Freezer Jam, substitute 4 cups of pureed concord grapes.

For Strawberry Freezer Jam, substitute 4 cups of pureed strawberries.





Listening to:   Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

No comments:

Post a Comment