Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cheddar Apple Bread

Food combinations.

Lately, I've been all about tasty food combinations and figuring out how I can eat my favorite meals in a variety of different ways.  I've been going crazy trying to incorporate the luscious taste of apples, cinnamon and caramel into everything I make.  So, this weekend, I decided to venture onto something else and discovered a new and intense love for apples with cheddar  cheese.

Now, before you get grossed out and tell me all about how apples and cheese are not complementary, don't go together and blah blah blah... I urge you to try this without preconcieved notions before judging my tastes and completely abandoning me.

In fact, it's sort of a tradition around these parts to serve apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese.  I've never done it, but I definitely think I'll be giving it a try later this year when the holiday desserts come around.

My first invention on the apple-cheddar wagon is this bread.  A mixture of sweet and savory, this bread employs the autumn-inspired trend of ripe apples and sugar with the tangy cheddar and a hint of
sage.  I had absolutely no idea what this was going to come out like, but I tried it anyway.  To my surprise, this bread turned out super moist and flavorful.

People have been complimenting this bread for its creativity and taste.   


Make this, and you'll definitely have people drooling!





Cheddar Apple Bread
(adapted from Cook and Be Merry)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
1 stick butter
2 eggs
3 apples, unpeeled & finely shredded
1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded

2 tbsp minced sage
1 tsp salt



Preheat oven 350F. 

In a bowl, beat flour, baking powder, butter, sugar and salt.  Add
eggs one at a time until well-combined.  Fold in apples, cheese and
sage. Spread dough into a greased loaf pan.

Bake 40 minutes. Let cool.




Listening to:   Toby Keith - I Like Girls Who Drink Beer


No comments:

Post a Comment