Monday, September 24, 2012

Cornbread Pie Crust

What a novel idea.

I made bored at home this weekend trying to come up with something good for dinner.  Thirty days ago, the temperature was double what it is now.  I wanted something hearty and warm and easily eaten amid sweaters and wool socks and blankets.  Something I could lounge around on the couch with and watch movies that I won't divulge here because I don't feel like embarrassing myself.

My mind settled on some chili.  Typical fall-to-winter food.  Easy to prepare in a slow cooker.  Easy to eat.  Soul satisfying.  It was on.

Then, I decided I wanted to experiment a bit.  Yes, I know.  I like to experiment all the time.  And, I wish I could say that it worked out favorably more often than not, but that's probably not true.  I haven't done the math with fractions and percentages, but my gut tells me I fail in the kitchen greater than 50% of the time.

Good thing I persevere because every now and then, I come up with a zinger that changes my cooking style in a major way.  This pie crust is case in point.

I love pot pies and use any excuse to shove savory favorites in between flaky layers of pastry dough for baking.  But making that flaky crust from cornbread?  Seriously?  That's possible?

Shut up.

I made it.

Totally possible.

Totally possibly my best invention ever.

I can totally see this accompanying many cold weather dishes,  such as chicken pot pies, chili pot pies, and maybe even some South of the Border dinners.

I know.  I'm already on it.





Cornbread Pie Crust

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 stick cold butter
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt



Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.  Separate the dough into two equal halves.

Roll out each piece onto parchment paper with a rolling pin to the desired size of your pie tin.

Fill a pie tin with one layer of dough.  Top with desired fillings and top with second layer of pie crust.





Listening to:   Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes

1 comment: