Wednesday, September 19, 2012

S'Mores No Bake Bars

Very adult.

Yes, I am completely aware that adults (or, whatever that in-between stage is called that I am currently in where I'm old enough to qualify, but absolutely refuse to admit that I'm no longer a quirky teen) do not go crazy over s'mores.   In fact, adults don't really seem to go crazy over anything.  They mostly complain about taxes and low back pain and loud music.  

Oh, and quick digression.  What is with music today?  Ok, I know that my generation did not exactly set a standard with its overuse of auto-tune and ridiculous boy-bands and pop stars that dance and sing simultaneously.  But, what is playing on my radio nowadays is actually way worse.  For the record, I don't care how much money you have, or how many different ways you can describe diamonds.  I also care very little about your ability to attract under-dressed, over-eager women.  

This kind of stuff is starting to make country music more appealing every day.

Anyhoo, back to s'mores.

I tried a while back to make s'mores rice krispie treats, but I couldn't get behind the flavor.  It just didn't have that recognizable s'mores taste I was hoping for.  Then I had an idea.

I decided to crush graham crackers into small pieces and use them similar to rice krispies.  Much better. But, the aesthetic factor wasn't there.  Crushed graham crackers generally result in size discrepancies, pointed edges, and the inevitable powder-fication that make the marshmallow mixture a wee bit gritty.

Then, the Hubbalubb had an idea.

He pulled his graham cracker cereal out of the pantry (Graham cracker cereal?  Clearly, neither of us are truly adults) and that was all I needed to get motivated on refining this recipe.

This was perfect to finish the s'mores bars and both of us 'non-adults' could agree.

So, come be a non-adult with me!





S'Mores No Bake Bars
(adapted from Kellogg)

3 tbsp butter
1 package marshmallows
6 cups graham cracker cereal
1 cup mini chocolate chips


Melt marshmallows and butter together in a pot over medium heat until creamy.  Remove from heat.

Fold in graham cracker cereal.  Follow with chocolate chips.

Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and press into the pan to fill and flatten.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.





Listening to:   Katy Perry - Peacock







No comments:

Post a Comment