Friday, September 14, 2012

Apple Cider Glazed Doughnuts

With fall right around the corner, there are a ton of apple recipes coming out of the box and onto the countertop for use.

Apples truly lend themselves to a number of sweet and delicious treats and drinks for any time of day or year.  Cider and juice are two of my favorite drinks.  Cooked apples can be found in pies, crisps, cobblers, and cakes for dessert.  Cook them down more and you've got jams, jellies and butters.  Keep them fresh, and they can be coated in candy, caramel and chocolate .  The colorful fruit can even be used as a centerpiece or a decoration in your home in the autumn.

Today I'm thinking only about breakfast.  Apple cider doughnuts are a seasonal treat that we usually bring home from our annual trip to the local cider mill.  This year, I decided to try my hand at my own. I'm really into baking doughnuts because most are fried and not-so-healthy.  So, when it came time to try an apple cider variety, I knew I wanted to try to keep them a little bit healthier by baking them.  To compensate, I added an apple cider glaze that turned out so unbelievably tasty, I may have to start using it on more than just doughnuts.

Cider has become so expensive nowadays that making homemade goodies can get super pricey, so I urge you to start with this recipe because you definitely will not feel like you've wasted time or money on these sweet little treats.




Apple Cider Glazed Doughnuts
(adapted from Recipe Girl)

2 cups flour
2/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup apple cider
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup apple cider
1-2 tbsp milk


Preheat 400F.

Whisk all of the doughnut ingredients in a large bowl until homogenous.  Pour batter into a greased doughnut pan.

Bake 10 minutes.

Stir all the ingredients for the glaze in a bowl.

Dunk or submerge the hot doughnuts into glaze and let cool.





Listening to:   Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U

No comments:

Post a Comment