Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mexican Mashed Potatoes


Something about this crisp weather makes me crave mashed potatoes year after year.

Maybe it's the warmth and creaminess that makes me feel cozy and comfortable.  Maybe it's an association between mashed potatoes and the holiday season.  It could be any number of reasons, but I always start my fascination with creamy mashed potatoes around this month.

I've always been pretty typical with my potatoes, too.  Milk, butter and salt were pretty much my deal.  Last year was the first time I even attempted a souped up version with garlic and rosemary.  Since then, I've been dreaming up other flavors to try.

Mexican-style mashed potatoes were first on my list.  I love the flavors found in Tex Mex cuisine, and layering those flavors into a creamy, fluffy base would be perfect.  These potatoes were easy and super flavorful.  I think this would be a perfect side for mexican
lasagna, burritos or spicy chicken.

These mashed potatoes have reawakened my love of Tex Mex cuisine and I'm ready to experiment was some main dishes to go with this fabulous side.



Mexican Mashed Potatoes

3 lbs. potatoes, peeled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup milk
¼ cup sour cream
1/2 cup red onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
2/3 cup diced red bell peppers
1 jalapeno, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro


Boil potatoes in a covered pot of water until soft.  

Remove from water and drain.  Add the cheese, milk, sour cream and seasoning and use a masher or beater to soften the mixture to a smooth mixture.

In a separate pan, saute red onion, peppers and jalapeno on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.  Add garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.  Toss into the potatoes and mix.

Garnish with cilantro before serving.






Listening to:   Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment