Monday, September 3, 2012

Corn & Black Bean Salsa


How many ways can I use corn?

It seems like I am blessed with an overabundance of corn this year.  Between growing it myself, and receiving gifts of corn from friends and fellow gardening enthusiasts.

Disclaimer - I'm not really a gardening enthusiast.  I just started this silly idea earlier this spring to plant some veggies, and I must have wicked beginner's luck because I've got more goods in my garden
than I know what to do with.

The good news is, I love trying new recipes and this surplus of crops gives me plenty of chances to try new side dishes that are quick, easy, and especially delicious.

Here is another recipe that utilizes corn and happens to be one of my favorite salsas.  I love the sweetness of the corn with a fresh cilantro, tart lime juice and creamy black beans.  This is a great Labor Day weekend kind of salsa because it utilizes the best of summer vegetables when served fresh, but gives a fall-time cozy feeling when you warm it up.

I've made this salsa two ways for you today.  The first is a completely fresh and easy mix that is reminiscent of a souped-up pico de gallo.  The second is a roasted version that looks more like salsa as there is much more moisture.  Same ingredients, but it's a completely different dip.

Happy Labor Day!




Corn & Black Bean Salsa



2 cans black beans, rinsed & drained
2 cans corn kernels, rinsed & drained
1 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup lime juice
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Salt & Pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve.


For the alternate version, roast tomatoes, garlic, corn and jalapeno on the grill or under the broiler until they are soft and charred.  I roasted corn on the cob and a whole bulb of garlic when I made this.

Saute the onions in a pan on medium-low until caramelized.

Combine the vegetables in a bowl and add the rest of the fresh ingredients.




Listening to:  Hunter Hayes - Wanted



No comments:

Post a Comment