Monday, September 17, 2012

Carolina BBQ Sauce

SauSo, there's this sauce...

Truthfully, this probably ranks somewhere on my list of kitchen 'duh!' moments of all time.  Up among the 'how do you drain ground beef?' and 'i'll take my chicken medium rare, please.'  Maybe, I've said those things.  Maybe, more than once.

Maybe, I feel a Major Payne moment coming on,

'Don't push the maybe... baby.'

Ok, I'm done now.

The truth is, I've been trying to recreate a honey mustard sauce for quite a while now, but I've never had any luck.  I wanted a sauce that was similar to restaurant-style honey mustards.  But, every time I mixed the two flavors together, it never came out the way I envisioned.

I was about to give up hope when I came across a honey mustard BBQ sauce over the weekend.  I don't usually go for barbeque sauce, but this blog has made me more adventurous at restaurants lately, so I dove in.

The flavor, the texture, the thickness, and even the color were a perfect match for what I'd been looking for.  Turns out, I'm much more into barbeque sauce than I ever thought I could be.

And, now that I'm armed with this sweet sauce, I've got quite a few ideas up my sleeve for you.

Just wait and see!




Carolina BBQ Sauce

1 20oz. bottle yellow mustard
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste


Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Puree if desired.




Listening to:   Kesha - Dinosaur


No comments:

Post a Comment