Saturday, September 22, 2012

General Tso's Baked Chicken

Let's talk about my love of Chinese.

I've never been to Asia.  I've never been west of Ohio.  Yes, it's sad.  But, someday I hope to expand my horizons and get a couple stamps in my passport.  My only exposure to Chinese food comes from chain restaurants, and my informants confirmed my suspicions that the fare in America is nothing like the real deal.

Disappointing.  That stuff they serve in America is quite tasty.

But, I'm also acutely aware that the food I buy is not the healthiest for me.  The MSG, the sodium, the less-than-spectacular cuts of meat, the sickeningly sweetness.... there are a ton of improvements that could be made.

So, that was my inspiration for recreating my favorite Chinese meal.  General Tso's chicken is a little sweet and a little spicy and therefore, 100% perfect for my palate.  Usually, I find that the sauce is sticky and syrupy and way too abundant on my plate, so I opted to use it a bit more sparingly.  Of course, if you're into it, feel free to drown your chicken in as much sauce as you see fit.

I actually made this twice, once for me and once for the Hubbalubb.  I like my Tso a bit spicier, so I adjusted the peppers accordingly.  Also, I grilled my chicken while his was coated and baked.  We were both satisfied with the taste and thought it was almost identical to the bought stuff, and I was totally stoked that I could get a little more heat, which is hard to do with the pre-cooked stuff at restaurants.

Sweet, spicy or both, this is a stellar recipe for American-Chinese food!



General Tso's Chicken
(adapted from From Away)

1 lb. chicken, cubed
2 tbsp garlic
1/3 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp Sriracha
2 tsp cornstarch
Dried chiles, amount dependent on heat preference
3 scallions, diced


Cook chicken as desired.   I grilled and baked chicken for this, but you could fry it as well.  Combine all the rest of the ingredients except the garlic in a bowl.

Cook garlic over medium heat in a greased saucepan for 1 minute.  Add the Hoisin mixture to the pan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced by 1/3.  The sauce should be thick and syrupy.

Add chicken and coat evenly.  Serve with white rice.




Listening to:   Jason Aldean - Fly Over States


No comments:

Post a Comment