Thursday, September 20, 2012

Apple Cider Caramels

Let's talk about epic fail.

You know, that sensation of dread and disappointment when your attempt at creativity (attempt at anything at all, really) blows up in your face and embarrasses you in front of really important, influential, or super gorgeous people.

Epic fail can be used to describe my closed-box thinking that caramels can only be tan-colored and made of cooked sugar.  Flavored caramels?  Not in my universe.

Yes, I can be dense.  Shocking.

Epic fail also occurs when I reject the idea that apple cider and caramel would go well together.  What??  Who questions something like this??  I must have a fever or something.  Truthfully, these are the reasons I did not try this recipe sooner.  That, and I had no apple cider.  But, mostly it was the ridiculousness that is my thought process that deterred me.

Oh, and the worst epic fail of all?

How about the first time I did make these?

Oh. My. Word.  

No bueno.

Normally, I don't post about kitchen misfires.  Not because I'm embarrassed.  In fact, I think it would make for humorous blog fodder if I blew my kitchen up on a semi-regular basis, (please, don't let that be a jinx).  I usually admit mistakes because they are not that interesting.  It's usually something like using too little or too much of one ingredient.  I've only had a couple instances where things went completely awry, but you know about those already.

The first batch I made may have gone into caramel setting mode without any apple cider.... oops.  I don't know how I forgot.  It's only like the most important part.  I mean, it's right in the name.  But I forgot.  And, this lead to a discrepancy in texture, consistency, and of course, taste.

No bueno times dos.

The second batch went exponentially better.  In fact, now that I've done it, and done it right, I would definitely do this again to give to others.  It has such a sweet and almost sour taste, you'll think it's pure spiced cider.

Now, I think its time to search out some other caramels!




Apple Cider Caramels
(adapted from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board)

2 cups apple cider
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt


Cook the cider down in a saucepan until it reduces to 1/3 cup; approximately 30 minutes.  Cool.

Pour the cider into a bowl with the cream, salt and spices.

In a large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup and cook until the syrup reaches 234F on a candy thermometer.  Remove from heat and slowly stir in the cream mixture.  Add the butter a pat at a time and whisk until creamy.

Return the mixture to the stove and cook until the temperature reaches 248F.

Pour caramel into a parchment lined 8x8 baking pan.  Refrigerate until set.




Listening to:   Usher - DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love Again

No comments:

Post a Comment