Saturday, September 15, 2012

Baked Apple Chips

After heading to the cider mill, I'm stacked full of new and fun ideas for the fall's abundance of apples.  I brought home with me a variety of fresh apples, some cider and a brand new cookbook that I'm excited to try that is 100% nothing but apple recipes.

Now, let's be honest.  Apples don't really do it for me on the snack front.  I mean, I think they are delicious and all,  but in their freshest form, I must admit I'm not their biggest fan.  I'd definitely take summer fruits like peaches, bananas and kiwis over apples, plums or pears.  Berries top my list of favorites above all else.

Cooked apples, however, steadily climb higher and higher on my list every time a new recipe plops itself down in front of me.  In fact, my only true apple consumption in a year comes from the pie my Grams and I make around the Holidays.  With the exception of the occasional apple crisp and a couple fresh apples dipped in peanut butter, that's about it for me.

This year, since I've been testing new recipes and trying to forever get creative with new dishes, I decided to purchase a ton of apples and try some new things.  Expanding one's horizons is never a bad thing, right?

I started slow and steady this time with some easy apple chips.  Now, I didn't know they would be easy from the get-go, but I can assure you now that they are.

Slice.  Sprinkle.  Bake.  Enjoy.

That's really it.  I sprinkled these chips with a bit of cinnamon sugar for added sweetness, but I'm sure these would be fine plain, too.

Now, go slice, sprinkle, bake and enjoy apple chips with me!





Baked Apple Chips

4 apples
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt


Preheat 200F.

Combine the sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.

Using a mandolin, finely slice apples so they are super thin, about 1/8".

Spread the chips out onto a cookie sheet.  Use a spray butter to coat the slices.  Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on the chips.  Use a second cookie sheet on top of the apples to keep the chips flat.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.





Listening to:   Justin Bieber - As Long As You Love Me

No comments:

Post a Comment