Friday, February 10, 2012

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

Why does it have to be 19 degrees outside?????  Ughhh!!!

......

Sorry, I had to get that little bout of whining out of my system.

I love winter.  I love frolicking in snow.  I love snowmobiling.  I love ice fishing.

What I do not love is being away from home in a location that has no snow or ice, only frigid cold.  And for someone who loves winter, I happen to hate being cold.

So, here I was, alone and shivering.  And just as I was about to reach into my closet to grab a sixth sweater, I decided that I was going to start heating from the inside out.  So, I grabbed the head of cauliflower out of the fridge and hacked away to bring you, and I, this lovely concoction.

The Hubbs and I are both crazy about cauliflower.  Don't ask my why, but we have spent more than one lazy afternoon cuddling on the couch, watching TV, and snacking on cauliflower florets dipped in spicy ranch dressing.  Or, more than one lazy evening (AKA 'Date Night' but I'm tired from work and don't want to change out of my elastic waist-banded comfy pants) where we forgo attempts to make dinner by chowing down on Roasted Cauliflower.

Now that I'm armed with a hankering for cauliflower and a survivalist need for warmth, here comes Cream of Cauliflower Soup!


Cream of Cauliflower Soup
(adapted from Taste of Home)

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 white onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint chicken broth
1 head cauliflower, chopped or cut into small florets
4 cups skim milk
3 cups cheddar cheese


Saute the onion and garlic in butter on medium heat until onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour.  Once all the flour is mixed in, add the chicken broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring consistently.  The soup will thicken some.

Once a boil is achieved, reduce to medium-low and add cauliflower.  Simmer for 3-5 minutes while cauliflower softens.  Add the milk and cheese and cook until cheese is fully melted.

Serve as is or you can puree the mixture in a food processor for a different texture.



Listening to:   LeAnn Rimes - Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment