Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Potato Gnocchi

I will not eat Doritos.  I will not eat Doritos.  I will not eat Doritos.

I saw an advertisement for the new Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco... merely one week after I gave up Doritos for lent.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

You mean I have to wait forty days and forty nights to sink my teeth into the most awesomest food merger since Bailey's Coffee Creamer?

I'm pretty sure this means that my Easter dinner is going to be comprised solely of a drive-thru menu order because yo quiero... yo quiero mucho.

Anyway, back to something a touch more homemade.  My Hubblalubbakins has been making references to gnocchi lately.  I don't know if it's because he's trying to drop subtle hints or if gnocchi is just making its daily rounds through his head like every other morsel of food on the planet.

I had a pretty easygoing day planned for myself today, so I hunkered down with a ridiculously heavy sack of potatoes to try out some recipes I'd saved up for a rainy day.  Or in my case, a sunny but brisk day where I'm too lazy to go outside.

Potato gnocchi can be quite temperamental, so I bought lots of potatoes in case multiple attempts were necessary.  Luckily, though, this recipe turned out great the first time around.  I made a few batches to freeze and store away, then a couple extra batches with assorted mystery ingredients you'll see soon enough.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a million potato skins to pick up and throw away.



Potato Gnocchi
(adapted from Food Network)

3 lb. russet potatoes
2 cups flour
1 egg
1 pinch salt

Boil potatoes for about 45 minutes to get them fully cooked and soft.  Peel the potatoes while they are still hot.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes with flour, egg and salt.  Knead the mixture together to create a dough.  Roll the dough out into long think dowels.  Cut 1" pieces from each dowel to form the gnocchi.  (You can makes shapes with the dough if desired.)

If you're freezing the gnocchi, stop here.  When you're ready to use, the frozen gnocchi can be dropped into boiling water.  When they float, they're done.

If you want to cook them unfrozen, boil a pot of water.  Drop the gnocchi in and let them cook until they float to the top.  Strain them from the water and cover them with any desired sauce and garnish.



Listening to:   Brooks & Dunn - Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment