Sunday, February 12, 2012

Italian Dressing Mix

So, let me tell you what I did yesterday.

I went out to the grocery store (again), and found a cruet.  You know, those fancy glass containers that you use for do-it-yourself dressings and vinaigrettes.  Out of curiosity, I bought one, along with a few packets of seasoning.  I made up a quick batch using the directions on the packet.

First, I ate some salad with the dressing.  Then I poured a little on some chicken and stored it away for a little marination-time.  Then I boiled up some pasta.  Then I cooked the chicken and served it with a side of pasta salad.

To say that I was thoroughly impressed with my new homemade salad dressing is a bit of an understatement.  I mean, I'm sure in the back of my head, I knew it could be done.  But as far as I was concerned, salad dressing was not something on my list of foods to tackle.  It tastes pretty good just the way it comes from a grocery store.

But now,  I'm intrigued by this new concept.  If you understood my absurd obsession with bleu cheese dressing, you might sympathize more with me.   Up until now, creamy and cheesy and tangy was it.  But here I am, daydreaming about the limitless possibilities of Italian dressing...

You're thinking, 'get a hobby?'  Well, I thought this was a hobby.  Maybe I need two.

But for now, I'm wondering what else this fancy new cruet can do?  Is there more to life than plain italian dressing?  What else can I mix with oil and vinegar?

If this is to be a true Foodie mission, then I'm going to have to try to start from scratch, starting with the italian dressing seasoning.  Here's a recipe I devised for a quick Italian dressing mix.  You can multiply the recipe if you're into saving some for later like I did, but this recipe will earn you one cruet's worth of deliciously zesty Italian dressing.


Italian Dressing Mix

2 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tbsp ground oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp minced onion
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes


Combine all ingredients in an airtight container until ready to use.

Note:  I add salt and pepper after I combine the mix with olive oil and vinegar to avoid over-salting.



Listening to:   Lenny Kravitz - American Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment