Thursday, February 2, 2012

Beef Stroganoff Dip

Here's another dip for your Super Bowl collection.  I originally set out to make Weasel Dip, which consists mainly of cream cheese, sausage and tomatoes.  But I found myself hitting the breaks for two major reasons.

One, I don't eat sausage.  And, for the sake of argument, I could have used ground beef in its place, but I felt that a substitution may dishonor what Weasel Dip is supposed to represent.

And two, I really don't know what Weasel Dip is supposed to represent.  What is the weasel?  I know it's an animal or possibly a person of low moral character.  But why is it in the name?

I'm stumped, but the point is, I've decided to head in a slightly different direction with this dip.  I'm keeping the ground beef and the cream cheese, but I'm adding a few more flavorful ingredients to make this into a Stroganoff-y sensation.

Plus, the Hubbalub loves Beef Stroganoff, so I know he'll devour this up.



Beef Stroganoff Dip

1 8oz. brick of cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup white onions, thinly diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diced mushrooms
1/4 cup red wine (optional)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard

Saute the onions and garlic in a large pan until the onions are fragrant and translucent.  Add the mushrooms and wine.  Then add the beef, worcestershire and mustard.  Cook the beef until there are no longer any pink bits.  Stir occasionally.

Off the heat, add the sour cream and stir.

With the cream cheese, you can either spread it into the bottom of a serving dish and layer the beef mixture on top, or you can mix it into the beef mixture and serve.



Listening to:    The Band Perry - If I Die Young

No comments:

Post a Comment