Monday, February 27, 2012

French Onion Dip

Yesterday, I told you about my pre-Daytona 500 French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich.  What I didn't get to tell you was about how the Daytona 500 (since I'm under the general assumption most of you didn't DVR it) was postponed until today because of rain.

That rain storm kind of put a damper (no pun intended) on my excitement about anything French oniony-ness.  So now that the race is today, I'm continuing the theme with real homemade dip.

Besides, after the sandwich yesterday, I still had a half of a thawed container of soup that needed some love.

We had the dehydrated onion mixture courtesy of my Sweetheart, but I really wanted to try something fresh and natural (minus the freezing and thawing part).  So here it is, my version of French Onion Dip.

All I'm waiting for now is for the Hubbs to come home and test his version against mine.  I'll let you know the official results tomorrow...


French Onion Soup Dip
(loosely adapted from Serious Eats)

3 large yellow onions, finely diced (I strained about 1 cup of caramelized onions from my soup)
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 oz.  grated swiss cheese
1 tbsp finely sliced chives


If you haven't already done so when you made the soup, caramelize the onions on medium-low heat in 1 tbsp of butter.  The process generally takes 20-30 minutes, but can be even longer.  You may wish to add 1-2 tsp of sugar with the onions to aid in caramelization.  Once the onions are caramelized, they should be brown and coated in a thick sauce.

Let the onions cool some, then toss into a bowl.  Combine with 1 cup of sour cream.  Add the lemon juice, worcestershire and swiss cheese.  Garnish with chives.

Serve with potato chips or cubed Italian bread.



Listening to:   Elvis Presley - You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment