Monday, February 27, 2012

French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich

So, today is the Daytona 500...

Ok, I'll admit there was a time, a looong time ago, when I thought NASCAR was awesome.  I might have even been a member of the Jeff Gordon Fan Club for a year or three.

Nowadays, I'm much more content spending any free Sunday preparing for the Steelers to figuratively annihilate any and all opposition on the gridiron.  But, I still make time for the Daytona 500 because it's the biggest race of the season and there's always a party in these parts to kickoff the race season.

The Hubbs learned this weekend that French Onion Soup dip can be made by combining dehydrated soup mix with sour cream.  This led to feelings of jealousy among the frozen containers of French Onion Soup I made a while back.

This storebought soup dip was taunting my homemade creation, so I decided to thaw out some real soup and make something yummy.  I decided to try making this grilled cheese and even managed to get an approving wink from the Hubbalub who hates onions under any other circumstances.


French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
(makes 4 sandwiches)

8 pieces of crusty Italian bread
8 slices of Swiss cheese
1 cup onions strained from the broth
2 cups of french onion soup broth
4 tbsp butter

Layer the cheese and onions inside the bread.  Cook each sandwich over medium heat in a tbsp of butter to grill.  You can also cook the sandwiches on an indoor grill or panini press.

Serve each sandwich with 1/2 cup of broth for dipping.



Listening to:   Nicki Minaj - Superbass

No comments:

Post a Comment