Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Venison Bourguignonne

Most people are absolutely appalled by the idea that I don't eat ham or bacon.  But, I happen to think I more than make up for it with my love of all things wild and gamey.  

I grew up eating mostly just venison, but I'm a huge fan caribou, elk and buffalo, too.  Over the weekend, I enjoyed my first pulled goose sandwich with coleslaw, so I'll probably be bringing something similar to the site soon.  I want to explore the possibilities of cooking wild game and the different ways to eat it.  I'm sure a lot of people will be very reluctant to try, but I can assure you that I stood in your shoes not long ago.  But now that I've tried different types of wild game, I'm hooked.

So I'm finally bringing you some of my favorite dishes with game meat.  And, since I'm such a sweetheart, and I know that the idea of venison makes you a little nervous, I started with one of my favorites.  

Venison Bourguignonne, also known as "venison on noodles" in my house, is so tasty that even a newcomer to the world of wild game will be impressed.  And if you're still unsure, you can definitely substitute in beef.  I've done it before and used flank steak with equally fabulous results.


Venison Bourguignonne

4 cups cooked egg noodles
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. venison steak, sliced in strips or cubed
1 medium white onion
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cup Madeira wine
1 pint beef broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp basil




Saute onion, bell pepper, celery and carrots in olive oil for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.  Add garlic, pepper flakes and venison.  Cook venison for 2-3 minutes each side.  Add the tomatoes and beef broth.  Bring the broth to a boil.

Reduce to low heat and simmer.  Add the wine and continue simmering for 10 minutes.  Add cornstarch and stir while sauce thickens.  

Add the parsley and basil.  Serve over egg noodles.



Listening to:   Pink - Perfect

No comments:

Post a Comment