Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sweet Coleslaw

So, yesterday, I briefly mentioned that I ate pulled goose.  And let me tell you how absolutely delicious it was.  And how much I wish I could put that recipe up here for you to try.

Sadly, I have no goose.  And, though I'm currently begging my brother to take up geese hunting as his next big hobby, I don't see any goose meat making its way into my refrigerator any time soon, seeing as how he's my #1 source for wild game.  So, I'm going to give you half of my recipe for amazing pulled meat sandwiches: coleslaw.

Now, in my head, I think coleslaw is pretty straightforward.  But, being that I am the eternal overcomplicator, I made it way more extravagant than I originally anticipated.

Luckily, it worked!  I played around with different ingredients and got a very helpful tip from my local fire department's Ladies' Auxillary.  From there, I concocted the best coleslaw I've ever eaten.

The secret ingredient is cherry juice.  The mayo and cherry juice combine to form the palest shade of pink, but the taste is so sweet and tangy.  It went perfectly with the pulled goose my friend made as well as with some fried white fish.  And, it will no doubt go with any meat you pair it with.

If you don't mind, go make this right now so I can go stand in front of my fridge and eat my leftovers.







Sweet Coleslaw

1 small head cabbage, shredded
3 carrots, shredded
1 red onion, shredded
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup cherry juice (I used the juice from a jar of maraschino cherries)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.

You may wish to adjust the sweetness a bit more by adding 1-2 tsp of white sugar.  Or, you may elect to throw in a few finely diced cherries with the coleslaw.



Listening to:   Nickelback - Far Away

No comments:

Post a Comment