Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Honey Skillet Cornbread

Everyday from 6am to about noon, I am officially on a diet.  Then lunch comes, and it's just so tasty that I can't stop dreaming about it.  Then I spend the rest of the afternoon moving on from lunch to other similarly tasty, but nowhere near as healthy, dinner options.

Then I explode.

This morning, I got up raring to go, thinking that I would try another no-carb diet.  Yes, I know they don't work, but at 6am, they seem a lot more plausible.  Especially when I can whip up an omelette with cheese and vegetables without guilty.

By this afternoon, I decided that I wanted chili.  Another low-carb option with spice and healthy vegetables.  Then, I wanted cornbread.

Not LOW-CARB.

Tasty.  Oh, so very tasty.  But not diet-friendly.  Especially with sweet honey on top...

I guess we'll just have to start dieting tomorrow.




Honey Skillet Cornbread

3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup cornmeal

1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp Decorating sugar


Preheat oven 375F.  Let the skillet heat in the oven while it's preheating.

Combine everything but the honey and coarse sugar in a large mixer.  Pour batter into a hot, greased skillet.  Bake for 25 minutes.

While it's cooling, drizzle the honey over the cornbread.  You may use a toothpick to poke the cornbread for easier penetration.  Sprinkle coarse sugar lightly over the top.



Listening to:  Miranda Lambert - Over You





No comments:

Post a Comment