Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hazelnut Gelato with Nutella Sauce

This marks my third experience with gelato.

The first time, I was in New York City.  It was a couple years ago, and I can't remember the name of the cafe, but I do know that it was near NYU and everything on the menu was written in Italian.  My long-lost non-biological sister, Elizabeth, had come to the city to visit and we had walked what seemed like 4,000 miles (actually turned out to be closer to nine), and stopped by this shop on our way to our final destination of the day, Ground Zero.

The second time, I was in the Carousel Mall in Syracuse.  I managed to get the Hubbs out of Eastern Mountain Sports just long enough to find sustenance before he dragged me back in.  Seriously, how long does it take to pick out camping supplies?

15 minutes just to check out the collection of sporks and collapsable bowls ..  I kid you not.

The NYC gelato was chocolate.  Rich and creamy, it felt like you were breaking a law of physics with every bite of that ice cold melted chocolate.

The 'Cuse gelato was flavored with pineapple.  It was like they knew that the texture of pineapple made my skin crawl so they infused the sweet flavor into a creamy, velvety soft mass.

Needless to say, gelato trumps ice cream in my mind.  I mean, ice cream is always easier to find, but the flavor of ice cream pales in comparison to the boldness of gelato.  So, I knew if I wanted to master frozen treats, I'd need to find myself a consistent and delicious recipe for gelato.

I chose hazelnut because it's one of my all-time favorite flavors.  It's to the point where I might be tempted to drink hazelnut coffee creamer straight from the jug.  Gross to watch, but so tasty!

And nutella?

You know how I feel about that.  It's the perfect compliment to this gelato, as if it weren't flavorful enough.

I made this as a little sundae with whipped cream and toasted hazelnuts on top, but you can let your imagination run wild with this!




Hazelnut Gelato with Nutella Sauce

Hazelnut Gelato:
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted and ground
1  1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt

Nutella Sauce:
1/2 cup Nutella spread
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar


Combine the milk and hazelnuts in a saucepan over medium heat.  As soon as the milk begins to boil, remove from heat.  Let the mixture sit and cool for at least one hour.

Strain the hazelnuts out of the mixture with a cheesecloth.

In a stand mixer, combine sugar, salt and egg yolks.  Beat the mixture on medium for 5 minutes.  Slowly fold in the strained milk mixture.

Transfer the mixture into a double boiler to temper the eggs.  Once the mixture is smooth and thoroughly cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool.

Chill the mixture and place in an ice cream maker to finish the gelato.

For the sauce, combine ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.  Allow the mixture to thicken for about 10-15 minutes.  Spoon over ice cream.

Top with chopped toasted hazelnuts and whipped cream.





Listening to:   Britney Spears - Gimme More




No comments:

Post a Comment