Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread

I overcompensated in cornmeal.

Turns out, you only really need like a cup of the stuff for a single batch of cornbread.

Well, as you noticed, that means I'm making lots more than a single batch.

There's a BBQ joint chain in New York (it's not an oxymoron, I promise) called Dinosaur Barbeque.  I've only ever been one my whole life because I'm only just beginning to discover that I like southern BBQ.  All this time, I've been convinced that it was way too unhealthy and messy for me.  But the more I write this blog, the more I realize that I have the potential to duplicate the taste of southern BBQ that intrigues me so much, without all the calories and chaos.

So I've got the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook (highly recommended, by the way, if you're a Northerner who like her southern food) and there's a recipe for cornbread.  Actually, there's two.  One is a sweet honey version (similar to my Honey Skillet Cornbread), and the other is a Cheddar Jalapeno version.

Wheels are turning...

I was already to make you same Dino BBQ cornbread when I discovered this recipe.  It's very similar to the Dino version, which is definitely a hit around these parts.  But it's got a lot more corn.  A lot, a lot.  I'm so glad I tried this because I can't tell which I like better!

Dino's got a much spicier version with more jalapenos, but that's definitely not a bad thing to me.  This version, by the Neelys of Memphis BBQ fame, is way more cornier.. in the good way.  So, I combined the two to make the ultimate most delicious cornbread ever!  (Not that I'm biased...)




Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
(very loosely adapted from The Neelys)

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 jalapenos, de-ribbed and diced
1 cup corn kernels
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar
1 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup creamed corn


Preheat 350F.

Saute jalapenos and garlic over medium heat in olive oil for 3-5 minutes.  Add the corn kernels and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a second bowl, combine milk, egg and creamed corn.  Stir the wet and dry ingredients together.  Gradually add the cheese to prevent clumps.  Then add the sauteed mixture.

Pour into a greased 9x5 pan.  Bake 45 minutes.  Let cool.




Listening to:  Taylor Swift - Eyes Open


No comments:

Post a Comment