Thursday, May 3, 2012

Spiedie Pizza

I am in love with spiedies... again.

While on temporary assignment in the Southern Tier of New York, I happened upon another Speidie recipe I had to try.

Don't get me wrong.  There is something beautiful and simplistic about marinating meat and vegetables, grilling kabob-style and soaking up each bite of tender tangy goodness with a piece of crusty bread.  The no plate, no fork makes it feel primitive and not the least bit pretentious.

So, as I drive through Binghamton, I decide to stop off for a bite.  Bing holds my culinary heart in two things: Spiedies and Honey Mustard Pizza.  As soon as I figure out that honey mustard sauce, I will be sure to pass it along.

But imagine my delight when I find that Speidies are now available on pizza...

Yes.  I ate it.  I ate a lot of it.  I stuffed myself to the hilt, and to the guilt.

That tangy, almost sour sauce.  The incredible blend of herbs.  The charred chicken.  The puffy, chew bread.  The onions.  The peppers.

Speidie heaven.

Make this, please.




Speidie Pizza

1 batch of Pizza Dough
1 cup of Speidie Sauce
1 lb. chicken breast
1/4 white onion, thinly sliced
1/4 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups Mozzarella cheese


Preheat oven 375F.

Saute onions and peppers over medium heat in olive oil.  Add chicken and cook thoroughly.  For authentic speidie taste, use a grill to blacken the chicken.

Roll out pizza dough and spread on the sauce.  Cover with 1 cup cheese.  Add the chicken, peppers and onions.  Cover with the second cup of cheese.

Cook for 20-25 minutes.




Listening to:  Manfred Mann - Blinded By The Light

No comments:

Post a Comment