Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Extra Sharp Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Sometimes, there's nothing more comforting and homey than mac and cheese.

Sometimes, I get really ambitious and mix in gourmet ingredients.

Sometimes, I'm tired and cranky and I just want cheese.  And more cheese.  And then a little more.

I don't really subscribe to the idea that macaroni and cheese needs a blend of four thousand artisan cheeses.  It might be because I grew up in a cheese-making community and I now crave the bite of the sharpest of cheeses.  So about 140% of the time, these gourmet cheese blends are far too bland for my tastes.

My favorite mac and cheese, of all the variations I can find, is a pure and simple and extra sharp version.  It reminds me of the version my mom made when I was growing up.  Cheesy and gooey and perfect.  This kind of macaroni and cheese was usually found on our table with a big plate of venison, another of my favoritest of dinner choices.

If you want to know how good this is, it's 86 degrees and I'm standing over an oven eating piping hot food.  It's that good.





Extra Sharp Baked Macaroni & Cheese

1 lb. macaroni, cooked and strained
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup white onion, diced
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika

Topping:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp olive oil


Preheat oven 350F.

Pour the strained pasta into a baking dish.

In a large saucepan, combine butter and flour to create a roux.  Add milk and stir consistently to allow the mixture to thicken.  Add the cheese in portions.  Let melt until the mixture becomes smooth.  Stir in the onions, mustard and paprika.  Remove from heat and pour over the macaroni.

In a small bowl, combine oil and panko crumbs.  Sprinkle over the top of the cheese mixture.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.




Listening to:   Green Day - American Idiot




No comments:

Post a Comment