Thursday, January 12, 2012

Toasted Almond Cake with Amaretto Buttercream

6I know, I know.

It's January.  Early January.

It is NOT dessert season.  And I am truly sorry for posting this with the absolute hope of ruining your New Year resolutions.

But, I have to admit this.  I am a huge fan of amaretto liquer.  In fact, at some point, I'd like to dabble in the art of concocting cocktails and maybe even trying to make my own amaretto.  Baby steps.

Anyway, whenever I get all gussied up for a social occasion, I like to sip on Amaretto.  It's classier than slingin' back Budweiser (or in my case, Labatt's Blue), and it's less pretentious than a cosmopolitan.  I don't live in a cosmopolitan world.

The toasted almond flavor is present, but not overpowering, so it doesn't compete for attention with the luscious amaretto icing.  I'm just trying to figure out what else I can put this icing on...




Toasted Almond Cake:
(adapted from David Lebovitz)

1/4 cup slivered almonds
6 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
8 oz. almond paste
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 stick of butter
1 cup all-purpose flour


Amaretto Buttercream:

1 stick butter
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp Amaretto liquer



Toast the almonds in a dry pan.

Preheat oven to 325F.  Grease and flour a 9" pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In a stand mixer, combine paste, butter and extracts.

On medium speed, alternate adding 1 egg, then flour mixture in increments until fully incorporated.

Pour into baking pan and bake for 65 minutes.

For the buttercream, combine butterr, salt and Amaretto in a stand mixer on medium.  Slowly incorporate the sugar into the mixture.  Ice the cooled cake with buttercream.



Listening to:   Black Eyed Peas - Imma Be

No comments:

Post a Comment