Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chai Mix

Here's another secret to add to your brain.

I love chai.  My mom introduced me to the stuff when I was a teenager.  To me, it was sort of a "big deal" moment.  I don't really drink coffee, but I assume it's the same feeling one gets when their parent deems them old enough to drink a cup of joe and talk about current events like a so-called "adult".

Maybe that doesn't happen.  I might have just dreamt other people do that.

In any case, it felt like a "big kid" kinda drink.  And, since I'd never heard of it before, I thought it was pretty highbrow for a small-town kitchen cupboard to house.

When I went away to college, my roommate and I frequently hit up the campus coffee shop for chai lattes.  To this day, they are my go-to pick at any major coffee-related franchise.

Turns out, maybe to my dismay, that chai really isn't as fancy or gourmet as it sounds.  The more I researched chai mix recipes, the more I became certain I could do this at home and save myself the $4 of having a barista do it.

Plus, in my search, I encountered over a hundred different recipes that are flavored with a chai blend.  So, it's safe to say this isn't the last time you'll be seeing this mix.



Chai Mix
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups non-dairy creamer
2 cups vanilla sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant black tea
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice

Combine everything into a food processor and blend.  Serve 1-2 tsp in a 1 cup of hot water.



Listening to:   Gym Class Heroes - Back Home

No comments:

Post a Comment