Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kummelweck Rolls

I want to bring you another New York delicacy.

Lesser known than chicken wing sauce, Buffalo is home to Beef on Weck sandwiches.  When I lived in western New York, I got these sandwiches in a number of different restaurants.  I loved it so much, I resolved to make my own.

Part 1: Make Kummelweck Rolls.  CHECK.

Why?

Well, because my grocery store does not carry them.  In fact, I haven't found them anywhere other than in and around Buffalo and Rochester.  And even I could find them locally, I can't get to them because there is a giant ice/snow storm blocking my way.

If you like these rolls, you are going to love what I've got planned for tomorrow!



Kummelweck Rolls

1/4 cup caraway seeds
1/4 cup coarse salt
2 envelopes active dry yeast
5 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup warm water
2 eggs

In a large bowl, combine yeast, 2 cups flour, salt, milk, oil and water.  Alternate eggs one at a time, and the last 3 cups of flour until incorporated.  Knead and stretch the dough until elastic.

Cover dough and let it rise for 1 hour.  Punch dough and knead/stretch dough again.

Cut into 24 equal pieces and form a rounded roll with each.  Cut lines or crosses into the top of the roll.  Let rise again for 1 hour.

Preheat oven 350F.  Sprinkle coarse salt and carraway seeds over the top of the rolls.  You may need to lightly press the salt and seeds into the top of the roll.

Bake for 30 minutes.



Listening to:   The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

No comments:

Post a Comment