Monday, January 16, 2012

Carrot Cake Jam

I'm trying this new thing where I'm trying a bunch of new things.


In fact, I'm in the midst of creating a culinary bucket list of sorts.  The more and more research into cooking I do, the more I'm discovering how easy it can really be.  So I'm trying to find some of the recipes that I've been most apprehensive about and knock them out with ease.


One thing I've wanted to try is making preserves.  This is my first jam out of an archive of saved jams, jellies, pickling brines and a slew of other canning/preserving methods.


There's two things I love about this jam:
1. It tastes JUST LIKE CARROT CAKE.  Yes, i meant to all-caps that.
2. It's wayyyy easier than I anticipated.  Again, yes.  The extra y's are deliberately for emphasis.


I didn't think it would be easy because it's not a preserve you see in any grocery store.  But, to my pleasant surprise, the more I started reading up on jam-making, the more I started to relax about taking on  a gourmet preserve.


I'd say more, but my mouth's full of toast with carrot cake jam.  Try it and see for yourself!




1 1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
1 1/2 cups finely diced peeled and cored tart apples, such as granny smith
1 3/4 cups canned crushed pineapple, including juice
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup raisins
One (1.75-ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
6 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts


DISCLAIMER:  This is a recipe only.  I have not added any information regarding canning instructions. However, this will fill several pint jars, so canning is necessary for this recipe.


Bring carrots, apples, pineapple, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to a boil over high heat.  Stir consistently.  Once a boil is achieved, drop the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.


Off the heat, add pectin and raisins.  Return to high heat to boil.  Once boil is achieved, add sugar and allow to boil again.  Then add butter and boil hard for 1 minute.


Remove from heat again and stir in chopped walnuts.






Listening to:   Gavin DeGraw - Chariot

No comments:

Post a Comment