Monday, January 30, 2012

Mediterranean Seven-Layer Dip

So, I had this crazy idea last night...

I was sitting at home, cuddled on the couch with Trouble (the cat), watching the Pro Bowl and annihilating a jar of Salsa Verde.  Just as I was smacking the bottom of the jar for the very last of the spicy green goodness, I remembered that the Super Bowl was a mere seven days away!

To preface this, I should warn you that I'm a huge football fan.  HUGE.  The kind that spends all Saturday creating culinary hits and misses simply so I have enough food to get my house through 10 hours of me being completely useless in front of the television on Sunday.

The kind who feels compelled to send hate mail to ESPN's First and Ten whenever Skip Bayless says something mean about my team.

The kind who shows up the boys, including mine, with my incredible memory for names, numbers and statistics.

That's me.

I'm also the kind who likes to throw big parties and make football-shaped cookies and empanadas.  Or serve chips out of decorative helmets.  Or serve cocktails with ridiculous names like Mean Joe Green Margaritas or Ditka Daquiris.

You get the idea right?

So you'll understand why I'm making nothing but boatloads of appetizers and dips this week?  This girl's got to prepare for the coming weekend, and practice makes perfect.

Today I'm doing a Mediterranean Dip.  I don't normally go all out with a full seven layers, but Super Bowl weekend requires a Go Big Or Go Home attitude.

Oh, and I know I said last week that I was officially over cheese, but ... yeah.

I'm not.  Be prepared.



Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip

1 cup hummus
1 cup chopped artichokes
1/2 cup diced green olives
1/2 cup diced kalamata olives
1 cup tzatziki
1 cup diced cucumbers
1 cup tomatoes
3 cloves roasted garlic, minced
2 tbsp chopped basil
1 cup feta cheese
2 tbsp lemon juice


Layer as follows:

Hummus
Artichokes
Green & Kalamata Olives together
Tzatziki
Cucumbers
Bruschetta made from combining tomatoes, garlic and basil
Feta Cheese mixed with lemon juice

Serve with pita chips or toasted slices of pita bread.




Listening to:   Ne-Yo - Give Me Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment