Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pulled Venison with Root Beer BBQ Sauce

Um...

I don't know what to say.

Except that, I've been eating this venison on a crusty bun with coleslaw for, let's see, three days now.  Two to three times daily.

More root beer ingestion from this recipe than ever in my whole life.

I. Can't. Stop.

Here's the thing.  I know there are not a whole lot of folks out there who truly appreciate venison.  It's something you either love Love LOVE, or hate Hate HATE.

I love.

Most people can't get past the game flavor.  Personally, that's my favorite part.  That, and the miniscule amount of fat in the meat that makes me feel better about eating a pound at a time.

The root beer in this recipe actually takes away most of that gamey taste that might ordinarily steer you away.  In fact, I think if I were doing a blind taste-test, I'd barely be able to discern between venison and beef.

It's a favorite of mine to pull out when I'm hosting a group of people for dinner.  Even people who don't usually eat wild game will rave about this venison.

Can't wait to hear what you think!



Pulled Venison with Root Beer BBQ Sauce
(inspired by my mom)


1 lb. venison roast
1 24oz. bottle of root beer
2 cups Barbeque Sauce

Hamburger buns
Cole Slaw



In a slow cooker, combine the venison roast with 2 cups of root beer.  Cook for 4-6 hours.

Use a fork to pull the venison apart into small strips.

In a saucepan, bring the last cup of root beer to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, and reduce by half.  Pour the root beer glaze into the barbeque sauce and stir.

Add the barbeque sauce to the pulled venison and mix.

Serve warm on hamburger buns with coleslaw.




Listening to:  Jack Johnson - Banana Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment