Thursday, August 30, 2012

Poutine Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ok, so I don't always eat healthy.

Sue me.

Don't really.  I have nothing to offer you but this completely bad-for-you-in-all-the-best-ways sandwich.  And, a couple other recipes.  But, you already knew that.

Don't ask me why I think anything that contains cheese can be slid (slided?  slud?) in between two pieces of toasty bread.  Cheese curds should be absolutely no different.  Equality among all cheeses, I say!

Oh, and french fries?  Well, it's very difficult for me to get on the carb-on-carb bandwagon.  French fries and bread?  Together?  I'm asking a lot of rhetorical questions, aren't I?  I'll stop that.

There's only a few instances, a couple days out of the year where I can get behind this kind of diet.  Poutine is synonymous with hockey in my life.  It's not something I make at home, generally.  But, if I'm out at the arena to catch a game in person, I really can't help myself.

The idea to put poutine on a grilled cheese came when I was arguing about hockey to the Hubbs about hockey.  Simply put, it's not a combined interest of ours.  I love it.  He does not.  He will go to hockey games, and he will have a good time, but I think it's usually attributed more to the fighting and the beer than the actual competition.

And poutine?  Well, it's a pro on my list, but a con on his.  He's just not that into trying poutine.  The grilled cheese was my attempt to incorporate the flavors of poutine into a sandwich.  I figured that he might try it if it was packaged in a more familiar meal.  And...

It worked!  He liked it!  Knowing that I was able to convince him was enough for me to want to share this sandwich with all of you.  So, try this out for those days when you can't make it to the hockey arena, but you still need your poutine fix!





Poutine Grilled Cheese Sandwich
(makes 4 sandwiches)

8 slices of bread
1/2 bag of frozen french fries
1 cup cheese curds
1 cup Beef Gravy
Butter for cooking


Cook the french fries according to the package directions.

Pile equal handfuls of french fries on 4 slices of bread.  Cover with 1/4 cup each of the cheese curds.  Top with a second slice of bread.

Cook in a hot, greased skillet until the cheese curds are melted and the bread is browned.

Serve with gravy on the side.




Listening to:  Depeche Mode - But Not Tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment