Saturday, November 30, 2013

Green Beans in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce

This is... perfect.

Ingenious.

Exactly what I needed for my Thanksgiving feast.

This is a perfect addition to my carefully calculated menu.  To explain this, I'll need to back up.

See, this Thanksgiving, I've been trying to design the most perfect menu.  To do so, I've been looking for recipes that incorporate all of my favorite Holiday foods, and display them in a new, innovative way.  My goal was for every meal to be unique and sensational.

When it comes to green bean casserole, there are not a lot of ways to revamp or improve the recipe.  At the same time, I feel like there's way too many casserole-type dishes on my table.  So, because of this, I looked for ways to fix green bean casserole so it was just as tasty, but still a touch on the unusual side.

I made this recipe while trying to do just that. 

I love green beans, and I love green bean casserole, but I hate that every side dish on thanksgiving features one healthy vegetable lobbed into a baking dish with not-so-healthy ingredients just to make it taste good.

I wanted to show my guests that green beans can look and taste delicious without all of those extra calories. 

The result is this slightly creamy, Mushroom-filled sauce over green beans and topped with those famous French fried onions we recognize all too well on top of traditional green bean casserole.  The taste is reminiscent of the Thanksgiving dish without the trademark heaviness that makes it hard to gobble up the rest of your Thanksgiving sides.

Get it?  "Gobble?"

So clever....






Green Beans in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 8oz. container mushrooms
1 cup cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp onion powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
2/3 cup French fried onions
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans




In a sauté pan, cook mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.

Stir in soup, broth, parsley and onion powder.  Season to taste.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes uncovered.

Cook green beans in a pot of boiling water.  Blanch in cold water to stop cooking.  Arrange green bens lengthwise on a serving tray.

Pour mushroom sauce over green beans.  Garnish with French fried onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment