Saturday, November 23, 2013

Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce

So... here's a little secret. 

I really don't like vanilla ice cream.

It's okay, as far as ice creams go, but if I had the choice between chocolate and vanilla... well, I go cocoa.

In fact, making my vanilla bean caramels yesterday was the first time I truly indulged in anything really vanilly.

I know.  This rhyming this has got to go.  Just let me get this recipe out.

I made the caramels, then I decided that I needed to try and make some sauce for ice cream.  So, I did.

Then, I put it on vanilla ice cream that I had to go out and buy because, as stated above, I don't eat it regularly.  Truth be told, I bought the neopolitan stuff so I could eat the chocolate ice cream, too.  But the vanilla was specifically for eating with this sauce.  So, I did that, too.

The result? ...

Amazing, obviously.

This sauce is so packed full of vanilla goodness that it perfectly out-does the vanilla ice cream that I tend to find a little on the bland side.  (I'm sure if I bought a gourmet vanilla ice cream, I'd feel differently, but since that luxury isn't always an option around these parts, I stick to making ice cream toppings that outshine my cheapo tubs of ice cream.)

If you've made the vanilla bean caramels, you'll understand.  If you haven't, you now need to try both of these delicious vanilla bean recipes!





Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce
(adapted from David Lebovitz)

1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp salt
 
Combine cream, vanilla extract, vanilla bean paste and salt in a bowl.
Pour sugar in saucepan over medium heat.  Stir slowly as the sugar begins to melt and brown.
 
Once the sugar dissolves and turns a dark caramel color, remove from heat.  Slowly incorporate the cream mixture with a whisk.  Increase speed in stirring when the bubbling begins to settle.  Whisk until the mixture is completely smooth.
 
Let cool completely.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment