Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Rakott Krumpli (Hungarian Potato & Egg Casserole)

I love trying new things.

Especially, when those things are food-related.  Even more especially when they are foods I've never heard of from countries I've never been to.  So, this casserole was right up my alley.

Now, I'm only, like, 50% certain that I can even pronounce this correctly, and that alone would have potentially scared me off.  But, after sifting through some similar recipes, I decided that this was literally TOO easy for me to pass up.  When you read the ingredients, you'll understand why.

Potatoes and Eggs?  Why, that's legitimately almost half the recipe right there! 

Is it sounding promising yet?

I do have to say, however, that I did make one minor change to my recipe that you probably won't appreciate.  So, I'll invite you to change it back if you wish, or make up your own version like I did.  The traditional version does not have onions in it, but after reading this review of the New York Times, I decided to try it since I'm kind of an onion freak. 

Also, I noticed in doing some of the research that this can be a meatless or meat-full dish, with some recipes calling for either bacon or sausage.  Naturally, me being me, I did not do this, so you're getting a full-on 100% vegetarian dish.

Nonetheless, I found this recipe to be savory and soul-satisfying like every good potato dish should be.  However you pronounce it, this Hungarian-style casserole will delight everyone at your dinner table.




Rakott Krumpli (Hungarian Potato & Egg Casserole)
(adapted from NY Times)

6 Idaho potatoes      
2 cups white onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
2 cups sour cream
2 tbsp paprika, divided in half
Salt & Pepper to taste
 
Boil and strain potatoes.  Cut into 1/2" cubes.  Potatoes can be peeled if desired.
 
Caramelize onions in olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low heat.  It should take about 20 minutes.
 
Preheat oven 350F.
 
Combine potatoes, onions and eggs in a large bowl.  Stir in sour cream, 1 tbsp of paprika and seasoning to taste. 
 
Transfer to a 8x8 baking dish.  Top mixture with remaining 1 tbsp paprika.
 
Bake 40 minutes.
 

1 comment:

  1. Mix melted butter in with the sour cream and place between layers. As per my grandmother from Budapest.

    ReplyDelete