Sunday, November 17, 2013

Haluski

I'm not from Pittsburgh.

But sometimes, I act like I am.  I love the Steelers.  And, the Penguins.  I'm not really a baseball fan, but if I was, I'm sure I'd be a Pirates fan, too.  I've visited the city, and I loved it.  It's not known for its local cuisine, but I think it should be.  Pittsburgh offers a number of special dishes that I've grown to love.

Haluski is a perfect example.

A flavorful blend of cabbage and onions intermixed into egg noodles, this dish is easy to assemble and makes a perfect side dish against something like steak or chicken.  Many recipes I've seen call for a healthy sprinkling of bacon, but you know how I feel about that...

Egg noodles are a cinch to cook and the veggies cook in only a few minutes.  It takes a short time to get this side dish on the plate.  The flavors are savory and down-homey... even though, 'down-homey' isn't a real phrase.  When you take a bite, you'll understand what I mean.

Pittsburgh on a plate.

Really, I promise.




Haluski

1 bag egg noodles
1 stick butter
1 white onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 head green cabbage
Salt & Pepper to taste



Cook egg noodles in boiling water per package directions.

Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large saute pan.  Add onions and saute until fragrant and translucent.

Add garlic and cook an additional minute.

Add cabbage with the rest of the butter and let cook an additional five minutes, letting it wilt.  Season to taste.

Stir into the egg noodles until well-combined.




No comments:

Post a Comment