Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sea Salt Caramels


So glad my college degree is in healthcare.

Otherwise, I might not know what to do when boiling hot caramel spits into the air and lands on my skin.  I might have cried like an over-sized baby, but I did take care of the little round burns myself.

Of all the caramel concoctions I've made this weekend, it would seem fitting that I would wait to injure myself until the very last recipe.  You know, that point when you feel like you're pretty much a caramel expert and you've mastered the cream-pouring-into-hot-sugar situation...

Needless to say, despite the taste, these are officially my least favorite caramels to make.  Any caramels that cause me physical pain are my least favorite.

Despite this, I love the salt and caramel combo.  It brings the caramel flavor to a new level, and I'm not being pretentious in saying that.  It really does lift this caramel from a basic candy to something you might find in a gourmet shop.  

And, did I mention how pretty these caramels are?  With a little sea salt on the top, these literally beckon you to eat them.  

So what are you waiting for?






Sea Salt Caramels

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
11/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1½ cups sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
¼ cup water



Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.

Combine cream, butter, vanilla extract and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a low boil for one minute, then remove from heat.

In another saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring gently.  When the sugar mixture turns a caramel color, stir in the cream mixture slowly.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. 

Using a candy thermometer, bring the temperature of the caramel mixture to approximately 248F.  Remove from heat and pour into the 8x8 pan.

Let cool completely before cutting.  Garnish with a pinch of coarse sea salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment