Saturday, November 23, 2013

Vanilla Bean Caramels

So... I'm not exactly the best caramel maker on the planet.

Making candies is really not my strongsuit.  I don't know what it is.  Maybe it's a concentration issue.  Or, a patience issue.  Or, maybe a combination of the two.

I guess it just boggles my mind how a recipe with so few ingredients can be so tricky.  It's so easy to ruin a pan of caramel, not to mention ruin the actual pan.

Not that it's happened to me before.  Twice.

It's a good thing these caramels taste so good because they are costing me a fortune in good cookware.

Anyway, I had to invest in a really good, really accurate candy thermometer to make what turned to be an edible form of caramels.  But it was worth it.  These candies kind of surprised me because I really didn't expect them to taste the way the did.  I mean, I know what caramel tastes like.  And, I know what vanilla flavor tastes like.  But vanilla caramel?  It's like a whole new animal.

The vanilla transforms the caramel into its own distinct flavor.  It is the perfect way to display vanilla on its own without adding other flavors.

Now that I've fully gorged myself on pure caramels, it's time to figure out what I can bake these caramels in.

Thoughts, anyone?





Vanilla Bean Caramels

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp salt
1½ cups sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
¼ cup water
 
 
 
Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
 
Combine cream, butter, vanilla extract, vanilla bean paste and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a low boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
 
In another saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring gently.  When the sugar mixture turns a caramel color, stir in the cream mixture slowly.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. 
 
Using a candy thermometer, bring the temperature of the caramel mixture to approximately 248F.  Remove from heat and pour into the 8x8 pan.

Let cool completely before cutting.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment