Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mumbo Sauce

Earlier this year, my mom and I visited Washington, D.C.

Now, I'm not a history buff, by any means.  I had no idea just how many monuments and memorials we would see.  And, I had no idea where the White House was located.  In fact, I walked right by it without noticing it.  It wasn't until I pulled a 180 back down the sidewalk that I realized I was literally right in front of it.  True story.

My mom, on the other hand, is a lover of all things historical.  Washington was a dream vacation for her.  My dream vacations always include booze, gambling, beaches and more booze. 

Obviously, I'm my father's daughter.

One of the things we did share an interest in was the food.  We ate at some ridiculously trendy and expensive restaurants, but we didn't really venture out into the world of local cuisine, trying some of the goodies only found in D.C.  I didn't really realize this until it was too late, so when I got home, I started looking up recipes that were specific in origin to the Capital. 

The first one I found was this Mumbo sauce.  This sauce is predominantly used in Asian cooking.  It tastes reminiscent of sweet and sour sauce with a hint of spicy barbeque sauce.  I'm sure this description doesn't do it justice, but just trust me when I say it's good. 





Mumbo Sauce
(adapted from Huffington Post)

1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup pineapple juice
 3/4 cup sugar
 1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp smoked paprika



Combine all ingredients in a pot and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.

Serve over chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment