Sunday, November 24, 2013

Salted Caramel Sauce

I know, I know...

Sometimes, I get stuck on something and I obsess.

I can't tell you why, exactly.  It might be because I make something that sparks a wave of creative cooking and I have to get it all out at once.  Or, maybe it's because I already had all the ingredients out to make caramel sauce, so I decided to go for it once more.

All I know is I now have two delicious jars of gourmet, home-made caramel sauce.  

And it's already got me thinking about what else I can do in the way of caramel sauces and candies.

Thoughts?




Salted Caramel Sauce
(adapted from David Lebovitz)


1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
 

In a large bowl, combine cream, vanilla and salt.

Pour sugar in saucepan over medium heat.  Stir slowly as the sugar begins to melt and brown.
 
Once the sugar dissolves and turns a dark caramel color, remove from heat.  Slowly incorporate the cream mixture with a whisk.  Increase speed in stirring when the bubbling begins to settle.  Whisk until the mixture is completely smooth.
 
Let cool completely.

Use over desserts or ice cream.  Garnish with a pinch of sea salt if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment