Monday, April 23, 2012

Baked Ube Fries

So, about that ube...

Well, I have to say that I posted the Ube Cupcakes on a pure whim, and never thought I'd enjoy them enough to want more.  But, as it turns out, when you give a carnivore a plate full of un-vegan purple potato cupcakes, they go quick.

Plus, the bright purple color is intriguing, to say the least.  It led me to wonder what else I could fashion out of these purple yams.  The first thing I thought of were sweet potato fries.  I couldn't find a lot of help online about this, and my friend, the generous donator of ubes, had never tried it either.

So, I went with a pretty standard sweet potato fry recipe, and luckily, it turned out well.  I want to play around with the seasoning a bit more.  I just used salt because I was afraid to go overboard with seasoning on an unconventional recipe, but I think I could pull something together.  Not that they need much more help, being crazily purple and all.

By the way, I am incredibly lucky to have a huge flea market of foreign foods within a short distance of me.  I am a terrible fryer, and had to resort to buying two new ubes just to get a few edible fries.  The ones I did manage to successfully cook were crisp and brightly colored just as I'd hoped.


Baked Ube Fries


1 lb ube, sliced into fries
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika


Preheat oven 500F.

Toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl until the fries are evenly coated.  Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes.  Turn each fry upside down and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.

Let cool.




Flo Rida - Who Dat Girl

1 comment: