Sunday, April 15, 2012

Apple Pie Jam

What in the world has gotten into me lately?

I'm craving foods that are out of season and twice as expensive to purchase in the supermarket.

Right now, I'm craving apples.  Maybe I'm channeling Captain Barbossa after watching Pirates of the Caribbean every night before bed this week.  I've been snacking on apples with peanut butter, and I even made an apple tartlet the other night.  I'd share the recipe, but I'm too ashamed of the fact that I ate the entire tartlet in one sitting.

I'm not ready to relive that memory just yet.

I couldn't pass this recipe up because I'm dreaming of all the possible carbs I can spread this on.  This jam tastes just like apple pie filling.  And, it makes me feel like I'm eating apple pie without all the guilt of actually eating apple pie.

I'm all about jams and jellies that taste like dessert without actually filling me up, so I can guarantee that this will be a pretty consistent addition to my canning cabinet.



Apple Pie Jam
(adapted from ColumbusFoodie)

4 cups apples, diced
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 box pectin
1 tsp butter

Combine apples with enough water to measure an even four cups.  Pour into a large saucepan and add lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and pectin.  Bring mixture to a boil.

Add sugars.  Bring to a hard boil for 1 full minute while stirring.

Skim off foam and pour into sterilized jars.  Follow standard canning guidelines.




Listening to:   3oh!3 - Starstrukk

No comments:

Post a Comment