Monday, March 5, 2012

Ube Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting

Here's how this happened.

Last weekend, I went to a friend's house for dinner.  As a vegan, she wanted to introduce me to a respectable and nature-friendly way of life.  As a carnivore, I was reluctant to believe that anything I was about to eat would be edible whatsoever.  But I tried it out, and to my surprise, I was actually super impressed by how good all of the food was considering there was nary a drop of gravy or cream to be had!

As I was leaving, she gave me an ube to take home.

Now, let's be serious.  I totally did the whole, "oh... how thoughtful [insert fake, awkward teeth-clenched smile here]" and accepted it graciously.  I did not have a clue what this could be, other than a mutant potato.

This was until she had explained to me that the cupcakes we had eaten for dessert that I thought were just vegan Purple Velvet muffin (although it tasted nothing like a "velvet" cupcake, but how could it without the eggs, buttermilk, and most importantly, the cream cheese frosting).  Nope, they were Ube cupcakes.

Essentially, these cupcakes are akin to a sweet potato cupcake, something I was hoping to tackle in the future.  However, now that I had a big purple potato, I moved that recipe to the top of the pile.  The major difference is the bright purple color.  The batter and the resultant cake are beautiful hued.

The major difference here is that I decided to de-veganize my cupcakes.  If you're looking for vegan, let me know and I'll update the post with the original recipe.  These are full of non-vegan ingredients, but they came out fantastic and just as good as their vegan counterpart.

Healthy, and purple?  Yes, please!



Ube Cupcakes

1 cup grated ube
2/3 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Coconut Frosting
1 8oz. brick cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup shredded coconut
2 cups Confectioner's sugar



Listening to:  Thompson Square - Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?

No comments:

Post a Comment