Thursday, April 12, 2012

Carrot Cake

So, I'm having a bit of a carrot obsession.

Maybe it's my thing.  I did green beans four days in a row.  Now, I'm doing a ton of carrots.  Maybe I'm just learning to enjoy vegetables more?  Eh, probably not, since carrot cake is very surely not in the vegetable family.

I had lots of carrots left over after the whole Carrot Bread thing turned into the Carrot Muffin thing.  Now, I'm headed for dessert.

I'm out of carrots, though.  So, you can rest assured that there will be no more carrot-ness invading my blog until the next time I shop for groceries.  And, since I very rarely shop for groceries, you can sleep soundly for a while.

I love carrot cakes with warm spiciness, so this cake was right up my alley.  Mixed with the tangy cream cheese frosting, flaky coconut and sweet candied carrots, this dessert was, in a word, perfect.



Carrot Cake
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup raisins

1 batch Cream Cheese Frosting
1 batch Candied Carrots
1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.  In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil, sugar and vanilla.  Slowly incorporate the wet mixture into the dry mixture.

Fold in carrots, coconut, pecans, pineapple and raisins.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 1 hour.

Let cool.  Top with cream cheese frosting, coconut and candied carrots.




Listening to: FUN - We Are Young

No comments:

Post a Comment