Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hummingbird Cake

In doing this blog, I've gotten to experiment with culinary creations from all over the country, and the world.  One of the things I've been trying to play around with is southern baking.  It always seems like the best sweets and treats come out of the south, and I'm working diligently to bring them up north.

Hummingbird was an interesting choice for me to try because I'm not actually a big fan of pineapple.  But, I overlooked that in favor of bananas, pecans, and uh, hello, cream cheese frosting.

Plus, I know that the Hubbalubba loves anything pineapple, so I was willing to try it.

Now, I should preface this by saying that I am a terrible baker.  Awful.

I mean, cooking?  I can get away with it.  I can sprinkle in a little of this, cook it like that, and make it my own.

But, baking is really close to an exact science.  For someone who doesn't enjoy measuring, that makes the experience a little harder, and maybe a little duller.

Nevertheless, I'm trying my best.  I've made you a few cakes and cupcakes so far, and here's another that I can scratch off my list.  I had a couple mishaps the first time I made it, but the second batch came out way better.  Hopefully, you'll nail it in the first try!



Hummingbird Cake
(loosely adapted from Southern Living)

Cake:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup diced pineapple, undrained
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups mashed bananas

Topping:
1 batch Cream Cheese Frosting
3/4 cup whole pecans, toasted



Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 2 8" round cake pans.

For the cake, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Use a beater and mix the ingredients on medium for 2-3 minutes, or until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.

Bake the batter for 30-35 minutes.  Let cool.

Spread the frosting over the top of both cakes and layer them.  Spread the rest of the frosting onto the sides.  Top with the toasted pecans.



Listening to:   Kim Zolciak - Tardy For The Party

No comments:

Post a Comment