Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bourbon Pineapple Boneless Wings

Yesterday, as I was slaving away over a hot Crock Pot (remember store-bought frozen meatballs, store-bought grape jelly and store-bought chili sauce?), I started thinking about other recipes that I could use that would save me time and energy.

Like I said before, I don't consider myself the type to use a lot of shortcuts.  At least, not these days anyway.  But, sometimes life gets in the way of a perfectly smooth schedule and you've got to make adjustments.

These wings are a lot like that as well.  See, the sauce is homemade with love, but the boneless wings are store-bought.  For me, they are anyway.  And, for two reasons.  One, I'm an awful deep fryer.  Nothing I put in a big vat of oil ever comes out the way I want it to.  Secondly, I had a perfectly good bag of frozen boneless wings in the house that I could use.

In case you're 100% unwilling to go that route, I beg you to try the sauce anyway.  Use any chicken recipe you like.  In fact, this sauce is great on grilled chicken, and even steak.  I've heard variations of this sauce are good on pork as well, but as I'm sure you are aware, I have no expertise on that subject.

The bourbon does not have an overpowering taste, so you won't have to worry about tasting straight liquor.  It goes really well with the pineapple which gives the sauce a sweet-and-sour kind of feel.  Also, it's not spicy, so you can make the determination for yourself if you like your sauce a little more bold.



Bourbon Pineapple Boneless Wings

8-12 Boneless Chicken Wings, cooked to package instructions

Sauce
1 cup pineapple juice (I used a can with diced pineapple and threw a couple chunks in with it)
1/3 cup bourbon whiskey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes


Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan on medium.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Allow the mixture to reduce by about 1/2.  The mixture should be thick and syrupy.

Combine the wings and sauce in a large bowl and toss to coat the wings.





Listening to:   Luke Bryan - I Don't Want This Night To End






Saute garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment