Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chipotle Chicken Barbacoa

So...

Since I did a Beef Barbacoa that naturally knocked my socks right off, I decided to try my hand at a chicken version.  I didn't want the recipes to be exactly the same because, well, that's just not very creative on my end, now is it?

I decided that for the chicken, I wanted to omit the taco seasoning, as I just don't like using it on chicken.  I don't know if that's a 'me' thing, or an understanding among the general population, but in my world, taco seasoning is left for beef while fajita seasoning equals chicken all day long.

Probably just a 'me' thing.

I did keep the chipotle peppers, mostly because I still had half of an open can from the beef I made.  Plus I added some extra adobo for a little spice action.  Some apple cider vinegar to sweeten it and this was ready for slow cooking.

The result is tender, moist chicken that falls apart in your mouth while making your lips tingle from the slight burn of the chipotle.  Not too hot, but if you're not into spicy, back off on the chipotles a bit.  This would be great in a burrito, or even my 7-layer Burrito Dip.  I'm definitely a fan of using this recipe for chicken in any Tex-Mex style dish from now on!






Chipotle Chicken Barbacoa

2 lbs. chicken breast
2 cups Pico de Gallo
1 2/3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp Fajita seasoning
2 minced chipotle peppers
2 tbsp. adobo sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.

Cook on medium heat for 6-8 hours.

Pull meat apart with forks to shred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment