Friday, January 3, 2014

Apple Pie Moonshine

Did you do anything fun to ring in the new year?

I have to say, in comparison to my previous NYEs, 2014's was a little tame for my tastes.

Maybe I'm growing up.  Or, maybe my friends are all growing up.  Maybe I need to find a new place to celebrate, because truthfully, I'm just not ready to give up the sparkly dresses, the confetti, the glittery shoes, the noisemakers or the midnight flutes of champagne.

This year, I completely disregarded my inclinations and went for a low-key celebration.  We're talking jeans, fleece coats, Hank Williams Jr. on the juke box, and a swig of Canadian beer as the ball dropped. 

Yes, I represent a very strange dichotomy in that half of me wants to be prim and girly and full of fun, city energy, while the other side of me can be described simply as 'redneck'.

Yes, we exist even in upstate New York.

So, in honor of that particular side of my personality, I decided to make up a special batch of Apple Pie Moonshine for New Year's Eve.

Now, I know what you might be thinking, and yes, moonshine is, ahem, not the most legal of things.  But, I have found that using any grain alcohol will produce the same results.  Since you'll be diluting the alcohol down, you won't discern the subtle (read: impossible if you're not a professional taster) differences between store-bought alcohol and real moonshine.  If you're a fan of spirits like Limoncello, you'll appreciate this kind of drink.

Sweet and spiced just like apple pie, this is a perfect sipper that is sweet like dessert, but warming like a good spirit should be.   This is sure to heat up any chilly New Year's Eve party!






Apple Pie Moonshine
(makes 4.5 quarts)

1/2 gallon apple cider
1/2 gallon apple juice
1/2 whole nutmeg
5 cinnamon sticks
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 liter grain alcohol


Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.  Remove nutmeg.

Pour into sterilized jars.  Put one of the cinnamon sticks in each jar prior to sealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment