Friday, January 10, 2014

Banoffee Pie

'Ello bananas.

As much fun as it is to parade around my kitchen working on my best cockney accent, it really doesn't translate well to paper, or computer screen.  So I'll stop... for your sake.

I made this pie for a couple of reasons.  Truthfully, banana is not in my top ten fruit choices, but sometimes, a recipe is so interesting that I have to try it.  Plus, the idea of combining bananas with toffee and graham crackers seemed like an intriguing combo.

I wanted to try this boiled can trick with the sweetened condensed milk that I've seen roaming around the internet for a while.  I didn't realize that this would produce a perfectly thick and smooth toffee.  And, to be completely honest, waiting for the toffee to boil is the hardest part of this whole deal.

It's a no-bake wonder that require little more than pouring and smoothing ingredients.

Even I can do that!




Banoffee Pie

1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 stick butter, melted
3 ripe bananas
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tub of whipped topping


Fill a large pot with water.  Place cans of sweetened condensed milk in pot, making sure that they are completely submerged at all times.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for two hours, covered.

Preheat oven 350F.

Combine the graham crackers and butter in a bowl.  Transfer to a pie plate and press into the bottom and 1" up the sides of the pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Let cool.

Slice bananas into 1/4" slices. 

When the two hours is up, remove cans and let cool completely before opening.

Arrange a row of banana slices along the bottom of the pie pan.  It should take about 1 1/2 bananas.  Pour half the toffee over the top.  Repeat this with the second half of the ingredients.  Smooth the toffee so it's flat.

Chill for 1 hour.

Smooth a thick layer of whipped topping over the top of the filling prior to serving.








No comments:

Post a Comment