Friday, January 10, 2014

Coconut Ube Butter

Did you know I'm obsessed with the color purple?

Even though it doesn't have anything to do with anything significant in my life.  I mean, my car is silver.  My motorcycle is pink (amazing, but still...).  My sports teams are, ahem, black and gold, obviously.  Besides a few gorgeous shirts and some jewelry, I don't even think I own anything purple.

So, I make up for the lack of my favorite color by stocking up on these ube potatoes.  Because they are purple.  Because they flabbergast everyone I know.  Because I live to flabbergast.

They taste like sweet potatoes, but they are sooooo purple. 

They might just be my favorite root vegetable ever.

I love the taste of coconut with these, so I incorporated a little bit of that flavor in with the use of some extract.  I tried using flaked coconut on the first go-around, but I found the taste to be way too mellow, bordering on non-existent.  Plus, the texture of flaked coconut in the butter was a huge turn-off.  Maybe if it was prepared with something other than a slow-cooker, the results would be different, but really, the slow-cooker has been my go-to for all my other butter experiments, so I didn't want to stray from the norm too much.

Coconut for garnish, though?  That might be a new thing.

Oh, and I couldn't find any canned pureed ube, and truthfully, they are so hard to find that it might not even be an option, so I had to puree my own.  No big deal, but it does add a little extra work.  It's definitely worth it, though.  And, seeing the faces of your guests as you pull out a breakfast tray full of biscuits with some bright purple butter? 

Flabbergasting.






Coconut Ube Butter

4 cups pureed Ube
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 tsp Coconut extract


Peel and dice ube potatoes.  Place in a pot of boiling water and cook until the chunks are fork tender.  Drain the water out.

Transfer ube chunks to a food processor and puree until smooth.

Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker.

Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.

Pour into sterilized jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment